Create New EC2 Instance
Alrighty – If you’re here then you are new to AWS and wondering how to Create a new EC2 instance.
It seems scary but it gets easier.
Here is a super easy tutorial on:
How to Create a new AWS Elastic Compute Cloud Instance!
1. First off Log into your Amazon AWS Management Console.
2. Next up – from the menu select “EC2″
3. Now – on this page you will want to select what region in AWS you want to create your instance in.
For this demonstration I will be using US East. After you have selected a region, hit “Launch Instance”
4. On this page you will have 3 options, for now use the “Classic wizard” this will let us easily make a new EC2 Instance.
5. For this tutorial we will use the “Amazon Linux” machine. This is not my prefered machine but for now it will do.
Hit the select button. (Amazon linux is in the free machine tier)
6. This next page will give us a few options, for now we will not change anything. Just hit continue.
7. The next page will look confusing – Hit Continue again.
8. This page will let you choose how large you want the harddrive in your Amazon EC2 instance to be. For now, hit continue.
9. In the value column give your machine a name and hit continue.
10. Create a name for your machines key. Then hit “Download Key” DO NOT LOOSE THIS KEY.
11. For now we will just use the quick start security group that will allow us to use SSH to connect to our new instance.
I will create another tutorial for Security Groups and how to connect to an amazon EC2 Instance.
12. Thats it for now! You should now see a splash screen with info about your machine! Hit Continue and we are done.
Give the machine about 5 – 10 minutes to boot then you can connect via SSH, using the key we downloaded. The username for amazon linux is “ec2-user”.
I will create another tutorial for connecting to an amazon instance and also setting up security groups.
Cheers guys! See you soon.